The ‘ great conservatory’ was gifted by Henry Yates Thompson, grand nephew of the founder of Princes Park, in 1896. In place of the Band Pavilion, its elevated position, exotic plants and statuary, became the grand centrepiece of Sefton Park. Architects were Messrs. Mackenzie and Moncur Ltd of Edinburgh noted for their design and build of temperate House at National Botanic Gardens Kew. measures 25m high on a base of red granite from the Isle of Mull, with 3,710 flat panes of glass. Reglazed after bomb damage in the 1950’s, closed in the 1980’s and fully restored in 2001 by a local, public campaign and £3.5m Heritage Lottery Funding.